The eleventh generation of the iPhone OS, also known as iOS 11, includes a new picture and video format. Apple changed the image format from JPG to HEIC (aka High-Efficiency Image Format). Images are now saved in the HEIC format on all iPhones running iOS 11 or above. In this post, you’ll learn how to convert HEIC photos to JPG on your iPhone.
Apple also acquired the HEIC image format for its macOS. It allows MacBook users to view and edit HEIC photographs with ease. However, the HEIC image format has yet to be accepted by the Windows operating system. If you want to view or edit an image on your PC, here’s how to convert HEIC image files to JPG files that can be accessed from Windows.
If you have an iPhone, there are many methods you can use to convert HEIC photos to JPG. The greatest part is that none of these methods require you to install any third-party applications on your device. Follow the steps to convert HEIC images to JPEG on your iPhone.
Steps to Convert HEIC Photos to JPG on iPhone
HEIC images are smaller in size when compared to JPG images. If you transfer these photos to your Windows PC, you will find that opening HEIC files on your PC is a difficult task. Whether you’re a Windows or Android user, JPG image formats are supported by both operating systems. To convert a HEIC file to a JPG, you must follow the steps listed below.
See Also: How to turn off Auto Night Mode on iPhone Camera
1. Open the Files app on your iPhone or iPad, then go to the area where you wish to save the converted pictures.
2. Now, creating a folder on iPhone, once you open your iPhone Storage from Files app, create a new folder.
3. To make a new folder, touch and hold an empty area of the screen for a second, then choose New Folder from the popup menu.
4. Give this folder whatever random name you like; in this example, we will give the name jpg.
5. After you’ve made a folder, open the Photos app and go to the album where you wish to convert the photos.
6. If you want to convert several images, go to the upper right corner of the app window and press the choose option, then select the images you want to convert.
7. After you’ve chosen a few photos, go to the Photos app’s bottom-left panel and tap the share button.
8. From the share window, click on copy photos.
9. Paste these photographs into the JPG folder we made earlier, open the folder under the Files app, and press and hold for a second to see the paste option. When a popup window appears, choose Paste.
10. When you copy these images into the folder, you can immediately see that the image format has changed from HEIC to JPG.
11. That’s It, All the photos are converted to jpeg.
This isn’t the only way to convert picture formats; the App Store has a variety of image converters. Some of which are free but include advertising, and others which are charged. If you find this solution to be too complex, you can use any converter available on the App Store.
You can do one thing in addition to converting picture formats: you can directly capture photos in JPG format. Yes, you can save images taken with the Camera app in JPG format. However, as previously said, HEIC photos are lower in size than JPG images. If you have a lot of storage space and wish to capture a lot of photographs in JPG format, you can use these steps to store images in JPG format on your iPhone.
See Also: How to Hide Apps on iPhone or iPad
How to capture photos in JPG format on iPhone
1. Go to Settings on your iPhone.
2. Find the camera settings and click on it.
3. At the of the menu you will see the formate option. Click on formats.
4. Tap Formats and change High Efficiency to Most Compatible.
5. That’s it. When you take a picture using the Camera app, it will now be stored as a JPG file rather of a HEIC file (High-Efficiency Image Format)
If you have any questions on how to convert HEIC photos to JPG on the iPhone or iPad, feel free to ask in the comments section below. Also, please share this post with your friends.
1. Why my photos become HEIC instead of JPG?
Apple has picked the file format moniker HEIC for the new HEIF (High Efficiency Image Format) Standard. It uses powerful and current compression technologies to make photographs with lesser file sizes while maintaining greater image quality than JPEG/JPG.
2. How do you turn off HEIC?
If you upgrade to macOS High Sierra or later, you should be able to open HEIC format photographs on your Mac.
Navigate to Settings > Photos.
Scroll down to the section titled Transfer to Mac or PC.
3. Can HEIC be opened on Windows?
To open a HEIC file on Windows, you must be using Windows 10 version 18.09 or later. The HEIF Image Extensions support utility may then be downloaded from the Microsoft Store. You will also need to acquire the HEVC Video Extensions tool to guarantee that your HEIC files keep their video capabilities.
4. Can Windows 10 convert HEIC to JPG?
The iPhone and iPad from Apple take pictures in HEIF format by default. The HEIC file extension is used for these photos. With just a few clicks, you can open a HEIC file in Windows 10 or Windows 11, or you can convert it to a standard JPEG and open it anywhere.
5. How do I convert HEIC to JPG offline?
DocuFreezer is a great tool if you want to convert HEIC files to JPG files without having to use an online service. With just a few clicks, you can save your images or documents as JPEG, PNG, TIFF, or PDF files. The software makes sure that the files are converted correctly and that the JPEG files that are made are of high quality.