Here is the full guide for disable Cortana from the Windows 10. Microsoft has made its digital assistant, Cortana, more comprehensive for Windows 10 with every major update. Besides searching your computer, it displays notifications. You can send emails, set reminders, and do all of that using your voice. However, some may find it too intrusive and would instead turn off the helper.
While you could turn Cortana off with a single switch in the days leading up to the Anniversary Update, that’s no longer possible. And with the recent Windows 10 Creators Update, disabling Cortana can completely break search, reportedly, and the only way to fix it is a clean install.
If you’re still determined to plug in Cortana’s capabilities in Windows 10, there are ways to do it. You can take away the tools it uses to learn about yourself, or you can turn it off entirely.
Prevent from Cortana knowing you
First, let’s go to Cortana’s settings to remove all the separate ways it monitors your computing habits. That’s how:
- Click the search box or the Cortana icon next to the Start key.
- Open Cortana’s settings panel with the gear icon.
- In the settings screen, turn off every toggle from On to Off.
- Next, please scroll to the very top of the settings panel, and click on Change what Cortana knows about me in the cloud.
- Microsoft will fetch a page from the Internet called Personal Information in the same Start panel.
- When it loads, scroll to the very bottom, and hit Clear.
To better serve you, Cortana also collects data about your writing and speaking. If you want to disable it, follow these steps:
- Hit the Start key.
- Click the Settings gear icon.
- Select Privacy.
- In the left panel, look for Speech, inking & typing.
- Click Stop getting to know me.
Remember, turning this off will also disable dictation in Windows 10. If that’s a service you trust, then you’ll have to put up with Windows “knowing” you.
Turn Cortana Off completely.
Once you’ve followed the steps above, Cortana won’t respond to your voice. But it is still running in the background, waiting to be called.
To get rid of it completely, you need to do more. Depending on the version of Windows 10 you use (Home, Pro, or Enterprise), the steps will be slightly different.
How to disable Cortana on Windows 10 Pro
- Hit the Start key, search for Edit group policy, and open it.
- Navigate to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Search.
- Find Allow Cortana, and double-click to open it.
- Click Disabled, and then hit OK.
How to disable Cortana on Windows 10 Home
The process is slightly trickier and involves editing the Windows Registry. If you’re not comfortable with this process, we suggest taking a backup or set a restore point.
- Hit the Start Key, search for regedit, and open it.
- Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Policies > Microsoft > Windows.
- Right-click the Windows directory, and choose New > Key. Type in Windows Search, and hit enter.
- Select Windows Search. In the right-hand side pane, right-click in the empty area and choose New > DWORD (32-bit) Value. Type in AllowCortana, and hit enter.
- Double-click AllowCortana, and type in 0 under Value Data.
Restart your computer, and Cortana should disappear. Instead of “Ask me anything,” the new search box will only say “Search Windows.”
Did you have a problem following any of the steps above? Let us know through the comments below.