How to play Grand Theft Auto 5 on Android devices with Steam Link or Xbox Game Pass
Grand Theft Auto 5 (also called GTA V) was released in 2013 and is still among the most played games, thanks to its ever-growing online mode called GTA Online. And although the game does not have a mobile version, it is possible to play it on your Android phone if you want. The game was first released on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. Then it made its way to PC. It was also released for Xbox One and PlayStation 4. GTA 5 is also coming to the latest generation of consoles, Xbox Series X / Series S and PlayStation 5. You can play GTA 5 on your phone using a couple of different apps.
You can play GTA 5 on your Android device using Steam Link or Xbox Game Pass. However, both come with some prerequisites, like having the game on Steam, a desktop PC, having a reliable internet connection, and an Xbox Game Pass Ultimate subscription. With that in mind, this is how you can play GTA V on your Android device.
Play GTA V on Android Devices with Steam Link
- Download and log into Steam on your desktop PC.
- Download the free Steam Link app from the Google Play store on your Android device.
- Launch the app, and you should be greeted with the setup screen. Tap on Start.
- If you have a Steam controller or third-party controller to use with your Android device, you can pair it with your phone or tablet. If not, you can play using touch controls. Tap on Use touch control to advance if you don’t have a paired controller.
- The app will scan for available PCs running Steam, and your PC should appear here.
- Tap on it, and the app will show you a four-digit PIN that you’ll need to enter on your desktop Steam client.
- Enter the PIN in the popup you get on the Steam desktop client and press okay.
- The Steam Link app will now connect to your desktop client and run a network test. Once done, touch okay.
- On the next screen, you should see a green checkmark against your PC name, as well as a green checkmark against Touch Controller.
- On this screen, touch Start to play.
- The Steam Link app will give you remote access to your Steam desktop client with a D-pad and four buttons to navigate. Here you can explore all the games you have on Steam. By default, it shows you the games that are optimized for Remote Play.
- Find GTA V and press too. On the next screen, select Play with the A button.
- You should now be able to play GTA V on your Android device.
Play GTA V on Android devices with Xbox Game Pass
GTA V returned to Game Pass last month and can be played on your Android phone or tablet. To play with Xbox Game Pass, you will only need an Xbox Game Pass Ultimate subscription and a fast internet connection. Some games will also require a controller, although others can be played with touch controls.
- Download the free Xbox Game Pass app from the Google Play store.
- You will be prompted to register or log into the app. Use the same credentials that you used for the Xbox Game Pass subscription.
- On the home screen, make sure you are on the Cloud tab.
- Find GTA V and tap Play.