You can save your driving license on your smartphone or download your electronic copy instead of physically carrying it around. The government has provided an option to help keep your driver’s license stored on your phone or have an electronic copy through DigiLocker or the mParivahan app. This is useful, especially if you forget to bring a physical copy of your driver’s license. Plus, keeping your driver’s license stored on your smartphone helps prevent your hard copy from being lost or stolen.
In 2018, a notice passed for states to accept driver’s license and vehicle registration stored in DigiLocker and the mParivahan application. That move was aimed at eliminating the need to carry physical versions of documents while driving.
Here’s how you can keep your driver’s license on your smartphone or download your electronic copy.
How to keep your driver’s license on your smartphone or download your electronic copy
Before you begin, it is important to note that you need to have a DigiLocker account. You can sign up for DigiLocker using your phone number and your Aadhaar card.
- Visit the DigiLocker site and log in with your username and six-digit PIN. You will then receive a one-time password (OTP) on your registered phone.
- Once you have logged in, click on the Get issued documents button.
- Now, search for the term “driving license” in the search bar.
- Select the state government where you obtained your driver’s license. Alternatively, you can select the All the option of the state.
- Enter your driver’s license number and press the Get document button. Be sure to click the checkbox to consent to DigLocker sharing your data with the issuer before proceeding.
- DigiLocker will now look up your driver’s license in the department of transportation.
- You can now check your driving license by going to Documents issued ready.
- The driving license can be downloaded in electronic copy by clicking on the PDF button.
- You can also get it on your smartphone by downloading the DigiLocker app.
If you do not want to register for DigiLocker and are looking for an alternative, you can download the mParivahan application from Google Play or Apple App Store and sign up there. Once you have registered, you will find your driver’s license in the DL Dashboard tab.