Before we get into creating zip files on Windows and Mac, it’s necessary to understand what a zip file is and why it’s so popular.
What is a Zip File?
A Zip file, in simple terms, is a file that combines many files into a single file to save space. The main difference is that it compresses the file sizes to smaller the folder (Zip file).
When you need to send many files to someone through email, creating a Zip file is very useful. You can’t send them all at once; the only option is to send them one at a time, which would take a long time and effort. Here, a Zip file simplifies your job; you can compress all of those files into a single archive file and send it to anybody. It’s not as simple as mixing all of those individual files; it compresses the files to make them smaller and easier to transfer.
How to create Zip File
It’s simple to create a zip file on a Windows or Mac computer. You don’t need any third-party software to perform this; on both Windows and Mac, you can use the built-in zip file creation feature.
Make zip file in windows 10/11
If you are using windows 10 or 11 then you need to follow the steps below to make the zip file.
Zip file creation in Windows 10
1. First, create a separate folder that you want to make a zip. Then copy all the files you need to add to that Zip file and paste them into the folder.
2. Now, Right Click on the folder and click on the “send to” option from the menu, and click on the “Compressed (zipped) folder”.
3. Enter a name for the Zip file and then click Enter.
See Also: How to Check IP Address in Windows 11
Zip file creation in Windows 11
1. To begin, make a separate folder from which you wish to produce a zip file. Then copy and paste all of the files you need to add to that Zip file into the folder.
2. Right-click on the folder then click on the “Compressed (zipped) folder“
3. Now name the folder you created as a zip.
I hope you all understand how to make a zip file In windows 10 and windows 11. now we will see how to do it in mac.
Create zip file in mac
- First, create a separate folder that you want to make a zip. Then copy all the files you need to add to that Zip file and paste them into the folder.
- Now, Right click on the folder and click on the Compress.
- This makes a zip file in the same location as the original folder, with the same name.
How to UnZip/Open a Zip file?
Now that you’ve zipped up your files and created a Zip file, you’ll probably want to open it or unzip it. Here’s how to do it:
Unzip Files in windows
Open zip files in windows 10
1. Right-click on the file, and then select “Extract All” from the menu.
2. A dialogue window opens, asking where you want to save the extracted files. Click “Browse” and then select a location if you want to alter the location. Click “Extract” after you’re finished.
3. The files will automatically extract to the location you specified, and you will view them in a new window.
See Also: How to take a screenshot on a Windows
unzip files windows 11
1. To extract a ZIP file, right-click or double-click it.
2. From the top-right, click on Extract all.
3. You have the option of extracting the files to your current location (the default) or browsing to a different destination by selecting Browse.
How to unzip files on a Mac
To unzip zipped files on a Mac, double-click on the zipped file, and the Archive Utility tool will unzip the files, producing a new folder with the contents next to the compressed folder on your desktop.
- Double-click the zip file to open it.
- A new folder with the same name will be created in the same place.
- Double-click any file you wish to open in that freshly formed folder.
That’s it, that was all about how to zip and unzip files on Windows and Mac. If you have any issues related to it, ask us to comment. We will try to solve it for you.
1. Can Windows unzip a Mac zip?
Modern Windows PCs can unzip any Mac-made zip file, but you still need the right software to view unzipped files, like a QuickTime player to play an unzipped.
2. Is zip file compatible with Mac?
Both Mac and Windows have a built-in way to compress files, which lets you zip them. All of your files are in one place when you use zip files. All of the compressed files will be put in one place by the file archive. So, it’s a good choice when you want to have just one file.
3. How do I unzip files without Winzip on Mac?
If you’re using a Mac, just double-click the ZIP folder to start the extraction process. For ZIP files on your iPhone, go to the Tool Store and download iZIP, a free app for extracting ZIP files. Then, before running the iZIP software, drag the file you wish to extract into the iZIP folder.
4. What is the best free zip file extractor for Mac?
iZip is the most user-friendly application for managing ZIP, ZIPX, RAR, TAR, 7ZIP, and other compressed files on your Mac. It’s also absolutely free, so you may zip, unzip, and unrar your files without restriction!
5. Is 7zip available for Mac?
If you’ve been to the 7-Zip website, you know that this programme can run on Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista, XP, 2016, 2012, 2008, 2003, 2000, and NT. Also, there is a version called p7zip that works on Linux, Ubuntu, and other systems. But unfortunately, 7-Zip is not available for Mac.
6. What can I use if I don’t have WinZip?
Follow these steps if you are using Windows 7, 8, or 10 to open zip files without WinZip or WinRAR. To open the file explorer, double-click the zip file you want to open. Find “Compressed folder tools” at the top of the Explorer menu and click on it.