There are many websites that use the hardware of your phones and computers to mine cryptocurrencies, which in turn could be very harmful to your devices. The worst part here is that there is no easy way to find out which website is harmful and which is not, as many of them do not inform you that they use your device to mine cryptocurrencies.
Block cryptocurrency mining – via browser extensions
If you are on the desktop and using Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Edge, Opera, or Safari, you can install Adblock Plus (Google Chrome | Mozilla Firefox | Microsoft Edge | Opera | Safari), making it easy to block coin mining scripts. AdBlock Plus prevents coin mining websites from running scripts in your browser.
Apart from this, you can also try using the Ghostery extension (Google Chrome | Mozilla Firefox | Microsoft Edge | Opera | Safari), which also blocks some of these scripts. If you notice that the browser does not block any particular coin mining script, you can email Ghostery and add it to the database.
Block cryptocurrency mining: through antivirus applications
Most antivirus software now blocks cryptocurrency mining scripts. The only downside is that this feature may not be available on the free tier and you may have to pay for them. Malwarebytes is one of several antivirus applications that allow you to block cryptocurrency mining scripts on Windows and Mac, and the advantage of this approach is that it blocks these scripts system-wide, so there is no need to enable it individually in browsers and applications.
Block cryptocurrency mining: on iPhone and iPad
- To go Settings > Safari.
Keep in mind that this will break a lot of websites and you may not be able to read or view things online like you used to. Websites can look like they were designed in 1995, with too much text, buttons not working, and missing photos or videos, which is far from an ideal scenario today. Using a content blocking app is a much better approach. Follow these steps to use 1Blocker in Safari.
- Install on pc 1Blocker.
- To go Settings > Safari > Content blockers and enable 1Blocker.
- 1Blocker allows you to enable any filter for free, so open 1Blocker and enable Block Trackers to block coin mining sites.
At the moment, we couldn’t find a way to block these scripts in Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge browsers on iOS. However, if you use Opera Touch or Mozilla Firefox, you can enable the built-in settings to block ads and encryption mining. Follow these steps to block crypto mining in Opera Touch.
- Open Opera Touch > touch the browser icon.
- Tap Settings > enable Ad blocking > enable Cryptocurrency mining protection.
Follow these steps to block encryption mining in Mozilla Firefox.
- Open Firefox > touch the Burger icon> go to Settings.
- Please select Tracking protection > enable Enhanced tracking protection > set the Protection Level to Strict.
Block cryptocurrency mining: on Android
In Android, it is simple enough to block cryptocurrency mining scripts in Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Edge, and Opera. Follow these steps to block cryptocurrency mining scripts in Chrome.
- Tap on the three points top right> Settings > Site settings.
Follow these steps to block cryptocurrency mining scripts in Firefox.
- Tap on the three points And go to Settings.
- Under Privacy and security, tap Enhanced tracking protection.
- Enable Enhanced tracking protection and set the Protection Level to Strict.
Follow these steps to block cryptocurrency mining scripts in Edge.
- Tap on the three points > Settings > Content blockers.
- Enable Block ads for Adblock Plus.
Follow these steps to block cryptocurrency mining scripts in Opera.
- Tap on the browser icon > Settings > enable Ad blocking.
This will block all cryptocurrency mining scripts in Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Edge, and Opera for Android.
This should keep you safe from cryptocurrency mining on the internet. What method do you use to protect yourself from this? Let us know through the comments. For more tutorials stay connected with us.